I have two ways I generally setup reloading drills on pistols. My preferred way is to put a single round on one magazine and 2 rounds in another. The 2 rounder goes into my mag pouch, and he single goes into the pistol and then is chambered.
- Unholster and fire with a aimed hit.
- Slide locks, so strip out the mag.
- Reload with the 2 round mag from the pouch.
- Reconstruct your two handed grip and fire for ONE hit.
Now your pistol is loaded with one round. Pick up the empty magazine and put in 2 rounds. Place that magazine in the pouch and repeat the drill. Successfully reloading the pistol but not getting 2 hits is a failure!
The second way I set up the drill is with one fully loaded magazine and a second magazine with a single round.
- Place single round mag in pistol, chamber and holster.
- Place full mag in pouch.
- Unholster and fire one shot to slide lock.
- Strip out empty and reload with full mag.
- Fire one shot for a hit.
- Take loaded mag out of pistol and place in pouch.
- Holster pistol with one round in chamber.
- Pickup empty mag and place in pistol. You can leave pistol holstered if you wish.
This second way I typically only use if I happen to have a full magazine on hand. The reason being I am not going to empty a full magazine just to load it with 2 rounds at a time. That’s silly.
“Shooting Guns & Having Fun”