We’ve all heard the rumors for years. And now it seems they are coming to fruition. Colt Firearms is re-releasing the Python series of revolvers.
Right off the bat, I think it’s a good business move and they will sell truck loads of them. But the collectors are already crying.
You see…as someone who actually lived through the Colt Python era, I know the folks espousing ghost stories about how magical it was, are full of crap. Mostly driven today by people who have a vested interest in pumping up the gun’s value. I.E. Current Python owners.
So what’s the truth? The Colt Python made it’s bones on a very good double-action trigger pull. But the observation was it sacrificed durability to do so. Folks who shot Pythons A LOT and competed with them bore this out. It was a known data point behind every gun counter in America.
But after Colt shut them down, people tried to rewrite history. And the bovine scatology really went into high gear. Once folks can’t get something any longer, they want it even more. And the collectors in that market where happy to oblige in driving up the prices with tall tales of dead craftsman, mechanical mojo, and parts folded 400 times Before Christ.
How funny. I was there. It was nothing like that. It was a nice gun that went the way of the Dodo Bird because of the wonder 9.
Now it’s back and the BS is already coming from the other direction.
So let me share my thoughts about how I see these guns in no particular order:
- Let’s give them a chance.
- Shooting a Python single action misses the point!
- I suspect the design is updated and better.
- I suspect the materials are updated and better.
- I suspect the DA pull will be just as good.
- The published MSRP’s are fine by me.
- I want a 4” model.
- We’ll see long term how the trigger / timing holds up.
- Who is Colt supposed to outsource a revolver to? Dumb.
- Logical Fallacy1: Colt didn’t invent the AR-15. But if it’s not a Colt, it’s a copy.
- Logical fallacy 2: Colt did literally invent the Python. But somehow lost data and specs on how to make one.
- Logical Fallacy 3: Colt has the real-deal TDP’s for the AR but somehow doesn’t have same for the Colt Python.
You see my last 3 points? That’s 90% of what makes gun forums turd-bowls. Collectors always finding circuitous ways to tell someone what they have is worth a lot of money? And what you have is crap.
Look. I have no actual time with these new Colts. Maybe they will go down as flaming dog-piles like the Remington R51? I have to acknowledge that it could happen.
But if Colt Firearms is willing to put machine time and treasure into IP they actually invented? And try to grow their business by giving people that they say they want? Instead of slowly dying in the red ocean of 10,000 AR-15 companies making the same shit? I’m willing to stroke that $1499 check.
Because unlike gun forums, I’m not full of shit. Colt needs this. The American manufacturing sector needs this. And the American gun market needs this.
If you’ve EVER said Colt needed to remake the Python? And this thing works as advertised? And you don’t buy one? At these prices? Then it turns out you were full of shit too.
“Shooting Guns & Having Fun”
- Strike Industries – Angled Vertical Grip - March 21, 2023
- Hard Primer, Hard Stop - March 20, 2023
- Gun Range Tree Work - March 17, 2023