Some of you have seen my recent MEMEs calling for all 1911s to be in 9mm. And while I understand that is a very provocative idea amongst the traditional 1911 crowd, I really think it has some merit.
Hear me out.
- Everybody should have a 45 1911. Let’s assume we all do.
- 9mm single-stack 1911s are a large percentage firepower increase at 10+1.
- Modern HP ammo technology is focused on 9mm.
- Wilson 9mm magazines have proven themselves in the platform.
- 9mm shoots very flat. So there is minimal hold-over at distances like there is with 45ACP. It’s point and shoot under stress.
- Finally there is steel. Steel 1911s in 9mm recoil so softly that sight disruption seems minimal for even novice shooters. That equals faster, accurate follow-up shots. It almost seems like cheating.
I look at it like this. Many people carry “pocket rocket” sized guns for CCW. These guns might have a capacity of anywhere from 7-15 rounds. If given a choice between a 10-12rd compact pistol that is hard to hold; and a single-stack, 10rd gun that allows a full grip, that also soaks up recoil at speed?
I’ll take the single stack 1911 in 9.
If you are a 1911 guy? You owe it to yourself to at least try the 9mm 1911. They are something really, really special.
“Shooting Guns & Having Fun”