The rifle build starts with a Remington 700 .308 action from a first generation PSS. The original barrel had lost its accuracy and the groups were starting to open up. I decided that it was time to rebuild the gun. A machinist friend stripped the action, trued, and re-barreled it. The gun build was mainly for 600 meters or less due to my club’s maximum range. I preferred the overall length, with suppressor mounted, be kept as short as legally possible. The new barrel length is 16.5 inches (419 mm) and the muzzle threaded 5/8X24 tpi for the AAC Mk13-SD suppressor brake/mount. The barrel was sent to be dimpled by the machinist that had originally developed the barrel dimpling Knight’s Armament uses. I forgot to weigh the barrel before I sent it off to be dimpled so I modeled the barrel in Solidworks and had the program calculate the weights. According to the software, the dimpling brought the weight of the barrel down to 3.36 lbs (1.524 kg) from 3.85 lbs (1.746 kg).
I got lucky and picked up an AICS 1.5 stock very cheap for the build. This, combined with the free suppressor, kept the build price down. When doing work for a company, I have it written into my contract that I will receive one of anything I design that goes into production, hence the free suppressor. The AAC Mk 13-SD was adopted by the military so I received one of the very first suppressors built. The suppressor, rated for 300 Win Mag, is made from machined titanium material (TiAl6) and is only 13.9 oz. (394 grams) and 9.5 inches (241 mm) long. The suppressor performs even better when using it with .308.
I eventually installed a Timney trigger into the gun after the original Remington trigger fired on me when I took the safety off. The Remington trigger recall occurred about the same time but, I was not going to send my rifle back to Remington.
Build list for the rifle:
- Remington 700 action – trued.
- AICS 1.5 stock.
- AICS 10 rnd. magazine.
- .308 Barrel 16.5” (419mm) long – sorry forgot from whom I bought the barrel blank from.
- Timney – Remington 700 Calvin Elite trigger.
- Badger Ordnance – bolt knob.
- Badger Ordnance – 20 MOA 1913 rail.
- Vortex Optics Razor HD2 4.5-27X56 FFP scope.
- Vortex Optics 34mm scope rings.
- AAC 5/8X24 90 tooth muzzle brake mount.
- AAC MK13-SD suppressor.
- Harris Bench Bipod.
- Green Cerakote Paint over parkerizing.
“Shooting Guns & Having Fun”
- OWS Imports Surplus Scrome J8 Scopes - March 15, 2023
- Project(s) Rifle - January 16, 2022
- The Open Bolt M16 LSW – Colt Model 950 - October 25, 2021