This recently came up among a group of young hunters I know so I figured I would post about it here. The younger guys tend to always gravitate to the modern as opposed to the tried and true. And these days, that conversation most commonly manifests itself as bolt vs auto.
I certainly am not enough of a hunter to speak with much experience on the subject, but I wish to share some observations:
- Auto’s give the user firepower and followup shots without breaking hold.
- Bolt guns, generally, have the ability to shoot ballistically superior calibers.
- As a shooter, I am generally known as a “tactical” guy, but I choose the R8 Bolt Gun.
- The owner of the SCAR 17 in these photos is an accomplished precision rifle shooter including Camp Perry and currently holds a trainer billet with active SWAT snipers
- The longest shot I took with the R8 this trip was 60 yards.
- The longest shot the owner of the SCAR 17 took was 700 yards.
- Traditionally, military snipers used bolt guns.
- Today, the trend for military snipers is autos.
- I don’t have the answer.
- And neither does anyone else.
“Shooting Guns & Having Fun”